Joint Anglican/Methodist congregation
Holy Communion or Morning Service each Sunday at 10.30
Tickton, first mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086, has been connected with Beverley Minster since the reign of King Athelstan in the 10th century. St. Paul’s was constructed in 1844, at a cost of £850, as a chapel of ease of the Minster and was consecrated by the Bishop of Bangor in 1845. The first wedding was conducted in January 1846 and first baptism in July of the same year.
Throughout the latter part of the 19th century the church benefited greatly from the support of the Stephenson family, millers at nearby Hull Bridge. They were responsible for providing the majority of the fine stained glass (all still in good condition), the organ (1886) and the lectern.
The links with the Methodist community in Tickton, whose present chapel was built in 1879, have been strengthened by the establishment of a Local Ecumenical Partnership (LEP), which began in 1994 and was fully implemented in 1996. The LEP under the name ‘The Church in Tickton’ enables the congregation to participate in a wide and varied worship pattern: All Age Worship, Morning Prayer, Anglican and Methodist Communion, informal and BCP services. Services are held in both buildings, led by clergy and lay members from both denominations on a rotational basis.
There is a thriving ‘Youth Kaf’, for youngsters aged 10 to 14, held once a month, and a Christmas Show held every December, which features children and teenagers from the local community. The village has a Church of England Primary School whose board of governors includes a member of the ecumenical clergy team, currently the Methodist minister, and several lay members of the congregation. Clergy and members of the church take turns to lead weekly assemblies, and to run a lunchtime club.
St. Paul’s is a venue for both Anglican and Methodist weddings and baptisms, for which there is a unified service. It holds funerals and still has an open churchyard. Interment is limited to those who reside in the parish or have close family connections.
Improvements to the facilities continue to be made. In 1999 the chapel was refurbished and extended to include a new kitchen and accessible toilet facilities. The building is home to a thriving Carer & Toddler group and a group for older people. A new heating system has been installed in St Paul’s, and the interior redecorated.
Many initiatives include the local community: an annual garden party, the modern interpretation of the Christmas story already mentioned, and regular fund-raising events. Currently money is being raised to develop the facilities at St Paul’s to include a toilet, small kitchen and an area for children to use during worship. For details of these and all other aspects of church life contact Richard Powell (firstname.lastname@example.org)