Welcome to the Friends of Beverley Minster.
I’m Roger Lewis, Chair of the Friends Council, and I’d like to tell you about some of the valuable work we do in Beverley Minster and encourage you to join us.
We are a registered charity, founded in 1936, to unite all those throughout the world who wish to be associated with the Minster and to support its continuing development. This includes the building itself, its furnishings and the activities that go on within it – for the Minster meets continuously evolving needs. The main focus is Christian worship but the Minster is also a place of artistic and cultural importance and a community resource for Beverley and the East Riding.
Our objectives also include spreading knowledge of the Minster and its treasures (hence we have funded the publication of four books) and helping the public (local and farther afield) to enjoy what it has to offer (including running day schools, lectures and visits every year).
Anyone can join the Friends, regardless of belief (or non-belief); what binds all Friends together is a love for this very special building, a wish to find out more about it and the determination to ensure that it is handed on safely and in good condition to future generations.
In recent years we have used the funds provided by our members in a variety of ways within these broad objectives.
- We have helped to maintain the fabric of the building (e.g. work on the great west window).
- We have provided new artwork (as with the pilgrim figures, furnishings and window in the retro-quire).
- We have opened access (e.g. by funding a wheelchair-friendly route).
- We have supported the development of an enhanced sound system.
- We have contributed to the continuing musical tradition by helping with the restoration of the organ, by ‘kick-starting’ the appointment of an assistant organist, by providing scholarships for choristers and by purchasing a Steinway grand piano.
- We paid for the re-fitting of the Minster shop.
- We paid the majority of the costs of developing and maintaining the Minster’s website.
- We have provided furnishings, such as a chest for the storage of altar frontals.
Please do consider joining us. Our Membership Secretary introduces herself here.
Friends’ Events are listed here.
DATA PROTECTION NOTICE