Great John is the bell that chimes the hour and dates from 1901. Records show that the Minster possessed two bells in 1050. Four bells were installed in 1366, three of which having been recast are still used in the Minster. The chimes for each quarter are rung on the 10 bells in the north-west tower and the melody was composed by organist John Camidge. There have been two major overhauls of the bells, one in 1896 and the other in 1901 by Taylor of Loughborough.
Great John weighs over 7 tons and is over 7 feet in diameter. As the inscription in Latin shows, it is not dedicated to Saint John of Beverley. It reads, œI am called the great bell of Saint John the Evangelist 1901.
Regular full peals are rung. Please contact the Ringing Master for details.