Organ Screen carvings
The 19th century organ screen of carved oak at the entrance to the chancel was designed by Sir Gilbert Scott and was carved by James Edward Elwell of Beverley. He became the Mayor of Beverley in 1901.
A memorial carved in oak is found on the pillar to the right of the north choir aisle and contains the words:
“He carved and erected the adjoining choir screen and became known for the excellence of his woodcarving in numerous churches throughout the kingdom and overseas.”
The screen has a parapet containing six figures and is supported by four columns each with four niches. There are 22 carvings of figures in all who are associated with the Minster or with music.