1. St John and King Athelstan. The 18th century statues of Saint John of Beverley, who founded a monastery in Beverley, and King Athelstan, who gave rights and privileges to the Minster, are a reminder of the Minster’s spiritual and royal heritage.
2. The Norman Font. Before the present Gothic building there was a Norman style church on the site. The font, dating from 1070, may have been used in that church.
3. The Nave. The nave is one of the most graceful in Europe and was built in the fourteenth century ‘decorated’ style. The slender arches carry the eye to the delicate vaulting above.
4. Medieval Minstrels. Beverley Minster contains the largest collection of medieval sculptures of musicians in the world. You see bagpipes, fiddles, flutes, drums, a portative organ and many more.
5. Exhibitions. The exhibitions are subject to change but the tapestries showing the life of Saint John of Beverley are regularly on display.
6. The Central Boss. The ornate central boss in the ceiling above the round altar table can be removed to allow building materials to be lifted into the roof space. A restored medieval treadwheel may be viewed as part of the roof tour which is available on most days depending on numbers. Restrictions apply.
7. The Organ. The first organ was built by Snetzler in 1767 and some of the original pipes are still in use. There are 4,000 pipes and 72 stops. The case was designed by Arthur Hill and was built in 1916. The screen on which the organ stands was designed by Gilbert Scott in 1885 and built by local craftsman James Elwell.
8. The Chancel. The sixteenth century stalls in the chancel were used by the canons of the period. Under each of the 68 misericords (seats of mercy) are wood carvings with sacred and secular subjects.
9. The Sanctuary Chair. There was a Saxon church on the site before 1066 and the stone chair dates from this period. Those escaping persecution found sanctuary here.
10. The Percy Tomb. This fourteenth century tomb with an ornate canopy is considered to be the finest of its type in Europe. The Percy family are identified by the heraldic shields some of which show the remains of coloured paint with which much of the building would have been adorned.
11. The Retro Choir. The east window contains medieval stained glass. Adjacent to it on the north side is a modern window (2004) which is part of an installation of sculpture and furnishings on the theme of pigrimage.
12. The Shop. The shop sells guides, books, cards, CDs, gifts (including porcelain and silver) and mementos.