From the late 19th century the East Yorkshire regiment made its home in the town of Beverley and many memorials to members of this regiment are housed in the south aisle of the Minster.
In the south transept are several memorials to those who lost their lives in the First World War.
In the niches of the cenotaph illuminated scrolls bear the names of officers and men of the East Yorkshire regiment who gave their lives.
Other screens show the names of the 7,500 men of the East Riding who were killed when serving with other regiments.
A wooden cross had been erected on Henin Hill, Arras, France which was dedicated to the officers and men of the 64th Infantry Brigade who fell on 9th April 1917 in capturing part of the Hindenburg line. In July 1931 this wooden cross was replaced by a stone cross and the original was placed in the north-east chapel in the south transept.
In the south-east chapel there is a cross for the dead of the Second World War, carved by Robert Thompson (the Mouse Man of Kilburn-see the mice carved on some of the chairs); and an altar rail to commemorate those killed in Malaya.
Stained glass in the south window of the south transept was put in 1921 in memory of those who had died in the war and symbolises ˜the Age-Long Conflict between Good and Evil’.